Your favorite fantasy "Troll"

OK lots of these your favorite XXXX posts popping up!! so seriously who is your favourite "troll" jester, wittiest or joker character in fantasy books!

Im a huge fan of Tyrion lanister and reading Malazan at the moment Paran also has a fair bit of wit about him!

All books need them they ring so much!

so share opinions!

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
Obviously it would be Binabik from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, as he is, in fact, an actual troll. He also has his fair share of cheeky comments, made more humorous by his unorthodox way of speaking. So he also qualifies in that way too.

The cave troll from Fellowship of the Rings was pretty good too. The way he was all like "Grrraaaaaaaaaaghghgr!!!" Haha. *kneeslap* That guy always got the good lines...

(it's possible you may need to understand troll to get the reference he made)

Great topic.

I think too that good fantasy book needs a troll in the mix. Someone who jokes and makes cracks about the other characters all the time.

From top of my head I'd go for Tasslehoff Burrfoot from DL books. He really can make enemies angry with his banter!
There are other great trolls too, but for the life of me I cannot recall their names now. Will get back to you!

(it's possible you may need to understand troll to get the reference he made)[/QUOTE]

Its got inverted comers :D!!!

But for you unaware im referring to fantasy adaptations of internet trolls (Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

"While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]"

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
OK lots of these your favorite XXXX posts popping up!! so seriously who is your favourite "troll" jester, wittiest or joker character in fantasy books!

Im a huge fan of Tyrion lanister and reading Malazan at the moment Paran also has a fair bit of wit about him!

All books need them they ring so much!

so share opinions!
I'm not sure if this exactly counts, but I rather like Kruppe from the Malazan books. He outwardly appears as a bumbling fool, but manages to have a finger in just about everything. He does get reactions out of others in a troll-like manner

like Caladan Brood in Memories of Ice.

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I like Ulath's dry wit from Eddings' Ellinium.

Sam Vimes ability of leaving the nobility of Ankh-Morpork unsure whether he was agreeing with them or mocking them leaves me in stitches every time.

Kruppe was a really good mention. I always think of him like Columbo for some reason. A guy that seems like he's a mess, but it's a put on. He's really brilliant and is going to outsmart you.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Kruppe was a really good mention. I always think of him like Columbo for some reason. A guy that seems like he's a mess, but it's a put on. He's really brilliant and is going to outsmart you.
Mocker from Glen Cook's Dread Empire books should also be mentioned, then, as he is clearly the inspiration for Kruppe.

I have to go with Kruppe too. He is a master in the trolling arts.
Memories of ice has a lot of troll moments from a lot of characters. I dont know if the following is a spoiler( Im recalling a scene, when Quick Ben is in a state of profound sleep due to warren overdose, and paran asks if mallet could hasten things in a magical healers way, he only says "sure", and slaps Quick ben´s face. I´ve loled Irl on that part.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Christopher Paolini. He wrote the most generic fantasy book I have ever read, and trolled me out of hours and hours of my life. What an asshole.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Christopher Paolini. He wrote the most generic fantasy book I have ever read, and trolled me out of hours and hours of my life. What an asshole.
This made me laugh. I stayed away from his books. I am suspicious of a teenaged kid's ability to write a novel for an adult audience. Especially a homeschooled teenaged kid who only has his parents for validation. (I used to work in the admissions office at Harvard. I felt sorry for the homeschooled kids who applied. Their letters of recommendation came from their parents instead of the teachers they didn't have. Except in rare instances, said letters were not taken seriously.)

I did see the Eragon movie and I thought it was pretty bad. It did not pique my interest in the books. I have noticed in many cases, you and I share similar opinions of books, so I am probably best staying away from Paolini...

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I have noticed in many cases, you and I share similar opinions of books, so I am probably best staying away from Paolini...
Just don't ask Legacy his opinion on Tigana! I can hear the venomous howls of hate from here!

Also liked your Paolini comments Legacy, thankfully I've given this the wide swerve and will continue to do so given feedback.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Just don't ask Legacy his opinion on Tigana! I can hear the venomous howls of hate from here!

Also liked your Paolini comments Legacy, thankfully I've given this the wide swerve and will continue to do so given feedback.
I said "in many cases," not all, obviously! I think it is fairly well-established that I am a GGK fan...

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Yeah, Eragon was a paint by numbers book. It recycled damn near every cliche, I knew what was going to happen before it happened because I've read more than 3 books in my life, the conflict was boring, etc. It was written for kids, by a kid.

He did something right, I suppose; his net worth is way higher than mine so I guess he's laughing last.

Also, Tigana is great, if you need something to help you go to sleep.