your favorite foreign movie.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
last year we discussed our favorite historical setting movies.

how about thus year let us discuss our favorite foreign films.

my intention is to get opinions out of our comfort zones watching movies in languages we are not native too, but I understand some people refuse to watch or don't enjoy 'reading their movies' so I merely encourage listing movies in languages you are not fluent and/or native to, but require simply foreign.

Bierschneeman

I'll keep mine to ten.

unordered
1. seventh seal (sweden) (if you like, I recommend virgin spring)
2. Solaris (the original russia)
3. Amelie (france) (I'm a sucker, if you like, I recommend "delicatessen" and "city of lost children")
4. alexander Nevsky (russia)
5. metropolis (germany)
6. Joyeux Noel (France, Germany, england)
7. seven samurai (japan)
8. ran (japan)
9. the fearless vampire killers (poland)
10.m (germany)

oops
11. save the green planet (korea)
12. nosferatu (germany)
13.das boot(germany)

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
This is going to be a "top-of-the-head" exercise for me. Note though @Bierschneeman that was is foreign to you might not be foreign to me. :)

Anyways, here goes:

1. Intouchables - A heart-warming true story of a paraplegic rich guy and his immigrant nurse (French)
2. Akira - awesome anime (Japanese)
3. Grave of the Fireflies - awesome anime (Japanese)
4. Das Boot - the claustrophobic story of a German U-boat crew (German)
5. Pan's Labyrinth - awesome and scary fantasy story set in 1944 Spain (Spanish)
6. Die Welle - A highschool teacher wants to teach his class a lesson about authoritarianism, but the experiment goes haywire (German).
7. Das Leben der Anderen - about a stasi officer's life spying on his neighbours (German)
8. City of God - about growing up in the Rio favellas (Brazillian)
9. Incendies - about two siblings travelling to the war wrecked home-country of their deceased mother (somewhere in the Middle East) (French)

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Sorry, but there’s absolutely no chance that I will be able to keep mine to ten, just right off the bat I have to mention:

Japan: Ozu’s Tokyo Story and everything from Kurosawa; if I have to choose, Rashomon, Seven Samurai and Dersu Uzala
Germany: The Lives of Others, Downfall and Goodbye, Lenin!
France: La Grande Illusion, The 400 Blows and La Haine – Hate
Finland: The Man Without a Past
South Korea: Kim Ki-duk’s 3-Iron and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring
Denmark: Ordet
Sweden: The Seventh Seal amongst several others noteworthy Bergman’s movies

Anime movies deserves their own category:
Nearly all of Miyazaki’s movies, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke above all of the others
Whisper of the Heart
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Everything from Satoshi Kon – Perfect Blue, Paprika, Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, the man wasn’t capable to release a bad movie
Makoto Shinkai’s 5 Centimeters per Second, Your Name and The Place Promised in Our Early Days

And finally, for movies released in my own language – Italian:
The Battle of Algiers
Rome Open City
The Great War
Big Deal on Madonna Street

And nearly everything from Fellini, Sergio Leone and Vittorio De Sica

kenubrion

I'll try to make a list later but for now my favorite was The Man From Nowhere, a south Korean thriller. I absolutely love the Korean gangster-type movies and there are a lot of them.

The Man From Nowhere - A stranger shows up in a neighborhood setting and becomes the ultimate warrior saving a little boy and his mom
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy
Das Boot - Yeah me too, I love submarine movies and this is the best ever
The Man With No Name trilogy - thanks Kalavan, forgot Leone did these in Italy or somewhere

Bierschneeman

@Silvion Night man, I loved "the lives of others" great list
@Kalavan wow you just added a bunch of italian movies to my to do. battle of Algiers and bicycle thieves are two I own as favorites, so that gives me reason to add more suggestions.. but, I never had a taste for sergio, or fellini. 4 fellini movies would sit on my 25 list of worst films.

Bierschneeman

I've trying to get a hold of moonzund, with english dubb or subtitles for a decade now

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
USA
  • Lotr movies, The Godfather movies, Goodfellas, Quentin Tarantino movies, The Shawshank Redemption...etc there are many I enjoy
Germany
  • Run Lola Run & The Lives of Others
Japan
  • Miyazaki (I love everything he makes) & Summer Wars (I love this movie so much)
UK
  • Monty Python movies
  • Shaun of the Dead ( I know it's not particularly high brow - quite opposite but it gives me so much joy lol)
  • Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
  • Snatch
  • A fish Called Wanda (UK/USA split)
Italy
  • La vita e bella ( I balled my eyes out when I first saw it. Not something I can watch often, but I still love it)
Spain
  • Pan's Labyrinth

I haven't seen many of french or russian movies to have a favorite. It's kind of strange but I don't watch movies that much anymore. It's books and video games for me, as far as entertainment goes, with occasional TV show. But honestly it's mostly been books for the last 5 years.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
USA
  • Lotr movies, The Godfather movies, Goodfellas, Quentin Tarantino movies, The Shawshank Redemption...etc there are many I enjoy
Germany
  • Run Lola Run & The Lives of Others
Japan
  • Miyazaki (I love everything he makes) & Summer Wars (I love this movie so much)
UK
  • Monty Python movies
  • Shaun of the Dead ( I know it's not particularly high brow - quite opposite but it gives me so much joy lol)
  • Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
  • Snatch
  • A fish Called Wanda (UK/USA split)
Italy
  • La vita e bella ( I balled my eyes out when I first saw it. Not something I can watch often, but I still love it)
Spain
  • Pan's Labyrinth

I haven't seen many of french or russian movies to have a favorite. It's kind of strange but I don't watch movies that much anymore. It's books and video games for me, as far as entertainment goes, with occasional TV show. But honestly it's mostly been books for the last 5 years.
Ai, I forgot the UK movies. I just love Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Shaun of the Dead is awesome as well. Have you ever seen Hot Fuzz? Partly the same actors and the same type of humour.

Kalavan

I never had a taste for sergio, or fellini. 4 fellini movies would sit on my 25 list of worst films.
Harsh, but you're not the first that doesn't appreciate Fellini's movies at all, especially his latest, most surreal ones, he's much of a "love or hate" director. Just like another favourite o'mine:

Serbia: Underground

As for Monicelli's ones (Big Deal on Madonna Street and even more The Great War), I love them, but I don't know how much could they be appreciated by a a foreign viewer: lots of wordplay, heavily reliant on typical Italian stereotypes. Still great movies, both with the added benefit of the great Vittorio Gassman in a leading role

GiovanniDeFeo

Has Danced with Dragons
Ok, a more serious attempt...

Spain: El Angel esterminador, Quel obscuro objecto del deseo, Women on the border of a crisis, Todo sobre my madre, The Others
Germany: Heimat2, The gabinet of Doctor Caligari, The Last Man, Nosferatu, Metropolis,
France: Summer Tale, L'Atalante, The Tenant (by Polanski), The four hundred hits (?) by Truffaut (and many many others)
USA: Twelve Monkeys, Brasil, A touch of Evil, Psycho, Zelig, Rosemary baby, Videodrome, Mulholand Drive, Blue velvet
NZ: Heavenly Creatures, LOTR
Denmark: Breaking the waves, Festen
Australia: La deesse of 66

Bierschneeman

Ok, a more serious attempt...

Spain: El Angel esterminador, Quel obscuro objecto del deseo, Women on the border of a crisis, Todo sobre my madre, The Others
Germany: Heimat2, The gabinet of Doctor Caligari, The Last Man, Nosferatu, Metropolis,
France: Summer Tale, L'Atalante, The Tenant (by Polanski), The four hundred hits (?) by Truffaut (and many many others)
USA: Twelve Monkeys, Brasil, A touch of Evil, Psycho, Zelig, Rosemary baby, Videodrome, Mulholand Drive, Blue velvet
NZ: Heavenly Creatures, LOTR
Denmark: Breaking the waves, Festen
Australia: La deesse of 66
your usa choices are after my heart for director choices.
multiple Gilliam's , Lynch, and Cronenberg. only thing missing is Stanley Kubrick

I love the fact there is so much love for Fritz Lang, that I believe I just saw the fourth seperate movie mentioned, I usually can't find anyone familiar with his work here.

I realized a movie in my top five ever is missing. "Cyrano de Beregerac" 1994 france

Kalavan

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Very interesting thread :)

Love all the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies, with "Grave of the Fireflies" being the one hardest to stomach
Nearly Anything by Akira Kurosawa
"Tampopo" by Juzo Itami
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and other Chinese movies, e.g. "Hero"? Or old classics, like King Hu movies?
Luc Besson's movies, e.g. "Leon ", "Le Grand Bleu", "The Fifth Element", "La Femme Nikita" or "Valerian"
Francois Truffaut's classics, e.g. "Fahrenheit 451"
Some of the classic "Italo-Westerns", e.g. "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", "Django" or "Once upon a Time in the West"
Monty Python's "Holy Trinity"
Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourites, too, had not even realized it was by Guillermo del Toro ..
"Das Boot", "Das Leben der Anderen" and "Lola Rennt"
"Amelie", "Les Intouchables" and "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis"

Ah, so many to choose from ....

Last edited: