Your favourite animal character in fantasy literature?

So!

What is your favourite animal character in fantasy.

I mean a named animal, for example, the lion Aslan, or the dog Gaspode (from Discworld)

Tell your favourites! Wether monsters are animals too, I leave for you to decide...
-But I suppose a dragon is an animal, when all is said and done, as is Kaz the minotaur...
Or is he???

My favourite named animal is Mr Beaver from Narnia series. He is just so cute!

Just been reading this book funnily enough: The Last Battle, which is last of the Narnia books. Hadnt read them since a kid so I thought I would give them a go. Aslans an obvious one but the fact that is god in the books (according to Lewis himself) kind of puts me off as a non-religious person. For me it's got to be Shadowfax in Lord of the Rings. Even in the films hes really cool.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Just been reading this book funnily enough: The Last Battle, which is last of the Narnia books. Hadnt read them since a kid so I thought I would give them a go. Aslans an obvious one but the fact that is god in the books (according to Lewis himself) kind of puts me off as a non-religious person. For me it's got to be Shadowfax in Lord of the Rings. Even in the films hes really cool.
I re-read those books maybe 8 or 10 years ago (in my 20s) after not having read them since being a kid, either. Wow, did I have a different opinion of those the second time around (actually found some aspects of the later ones offensive). Also not being a religious person, I totally didn't get the Aslan/Jesus thing when I was a kid.

Oh, but let's get this back on topic. I don't want to hijack your thread.

I don't know if I have a favorite named animal but I like: Nighteyes from the Farseer books, Felthrup from the Chathrand voyage books, and there were some good ones in the Harry Potter books.

Also completely random and out of nowhere, but I read this book back in college called The Golden Ass (The Golden Ass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) by Apuleius. It was apparently the only complete ancient ancient Roman novel to survive until the modern day. I think it could be classified as a fantasy book because it had gods and humans transforming into animals and stuff. Anyway, the main character turned into a donkey for a portion of the book. (Only recommended for adult audiences, by the way...don't read that one to your kids.)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Fitz's bonded wolf, Nighteyes. Without a doubt.

Don't-- DO NOT-- click if you haven't read the entire Tawny Man

Damn near cried when Nighteyes died. No book makes me that emotional. It was so freakin sad.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Agree with Legacy. Nighteyes. The ending to Assassin's Apprentice was also uber happy/sad too.

Belg

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
Nighteyes for sure.
I know it's not fantasy but I read a dean koontz book 20 years ago called Dragon Tears. It had a couple chapters from the pov of a dog. It's always stuck with me how cool it was.

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
I know it's not fantasy but I read a dean koontz book 20 years ago called Dragon Tears. It had a couple chapters from the pov of a dog. It's always stuck with me how cool it was.
Might have seemed slightly less cool if you had read more Koontz and realized he had a dog PoV in like 50+% of his books. :p Especially the more recent ones. But I tend to agree. Before he turned it into a tired gimmick/inside joke, it was kind of cool.

I'd have to say Aslan. I'm not offended by it being a God analogue. Most fantasy books have them, in some form or another. Before Lewis became overly preachy about it, it was pretty tastefully done too, especially considering the times.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'd have to say Aslan. I'm not offended by it being a God analogue. Most fantasy books have them, in some form or another. Before Lewis became overly preachy about it, it was pretty tastefully done too, especially considering the times.
It wasn't actually the Jesus connection that made the later books offensive (in my opinion).

It was how much all the followers of the false god resembled members of certain modern-day Middle Eastern cultures and how none of THEM were actually "saved" at the end.

Maybe considering the times, that was OK. In a post-9/11 world with a lot of racial/ethnic/religious hatred, it just takes on a whole new meaning (obviously Lewis couldn't anticipate that, of course).

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Huan the hound of Valinor

I see many people have put up Nighteyes...I've just finished Assassin's Apprentice and Nosy was really likeable in that so I'm looking forward to reading more of the Farseer/Tawny Man, who knows I may end up liking him too...

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah Nosy was who I was referring to too, but he doesn't play a "huge" part. Crucial but not huge.

I also quite liked Temeraire. Like a loveable oaf in a gigantic body.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
In the Mistborn trilogy (cut for Well of Ascension spoilers)
Tensoon as a wolfhound ... I LOVE him as the dog!!!
Hopefully he counts ;)
Eh eh I know what you mean!

Don't know if he counts or not but it's a fair point!

Garrison

Possibly a Darkfriend
I agree with Temeraire; love how he is characterized.
Also Smaug was a favorite for a long time, though in hindsight he didn't exactly get a lot of spotlight.

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Gaspode and Greebo from Discworld. I have a dislike of cats in real life (don't shoot me lol) but Greebo is just a really well written side character. I think I'd enjoy reading a short story centred around him.