Your favourite historical movies?

Myles Alexander

Helped Logen count his fingers
Just wondering, what are some of people's favourite historical movies from the ancient times and middle ages?
I'm a huge fan of Braveheart, Troy, Alexander, Robin Hood (all versions), First Knight, Kingdom of Heaven, Dragonheart (OK, fantasy, but somewhat historical), Gladiator... can anyone recommend any others?

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
I'm a sucker for anything involving feudal Japan, so The Last Samurai is a big favourite of mine. The battle of Shiroyama is probably the definitive moment you could say that an entire warrior culture ceased to exist (see: Meiji Restoration).

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I think my favorite ones are Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut). Also, the tv-series Rome is very good.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I have enjoyed more historical TVseries than films. These are my favorite:
  • I, Claudius
  • Rome
  • Vikings
  • Deadwood
  • The last Emperor(film)
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Life of Others (film)

Diziet Sma

I'm a sucker for anything involving feudal Japan, so The Last Samurai is a big favourite of mine. The battle of Shiroyama is probably the definitive moment you could say that an entire warrior culture ceased to exist (see: Meiji Restoration).
In that case, you might find interesting Musashi, The Last Samurai by Eiji Yoshikawa. I'm about to begin the first book in this trilogy, recommended to me by Boreas.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102030.Musashi?ac=1&from_search=true

Bierschneeman

I'm guessing from your list you mean historical fiction movies.which means I will add most of Akira kurasawa movies, like ran, seven samurai, Yoshimba, etc cetera.

Also add a lot of beowulf movies, Grendel, beowulf and Grendel, 13th warrior.
You can add Shakespeare in there like Titus, and juilius Ceasars, Macbeth.
Ben hur is one of my favorites
And my favorite among all these.

Dark kingdom dragon king. It's essentially the story of the ring of the nibelungs

Maark Abbott

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I like WW II movies that are hard hitting sometimes, but I enjoy them nonetheless. Pianist, La vita e bella, Schindler's List, Inglourious Basterds, etc.

I also enjoyed the heck out of Band of Brothers, but that's a mini series.

And of course Pearl Harbor.

Shit, I'm playing with you on that last one :D:angelic:

I'm not a history buff, so I don't get outraged by the inaccuracies as some people do. I either connect to the human condition and drama depicted in a movie. Or I don't.

Oh special mention to Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States which is thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable.

Edit: I see I've misread OP's question. Fuck it. I'm letting my post stand.
For ancient to medieval period
300 - yeah, yeah. It's not accurate. Whatever I like it.
The 13th warrior - same deal as 300.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - my favorite.

Last edited:

Diziet Sma

Musashi was supposed to have been at Sekigahara, right? I'll have a look into those books. Sound interesting.
Well, as I said I haven't begun reading it yet, but what made me buy it was Boreas' recommendation: Musashi opens with Takezo, the MC, in the Battle of Sekigahara.
According to Boreas, this is a beautiful Bildungsroman, in which the moral growth of the protagonist develops an ethical framework by which to ground his worldview.
There is a physical quest for martial prowess, but it changes into a quest for spiritual enlightenment, evolving into an understanding and respect between the individual, society and nature.

Last edited:

Myles Alexander

I totally forgot "Band of Brothers" - absolutely classic - all the actors had to go through basic military training for the role. Last Samurai is a good one as well. I think "Dragonheart", with Sean Connery doing the dragon's voice is my all time favourite though.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I totally forgot "Band of Brothers" - absolutely classic - all the actors had to go through basic military training for the role. Last Samurai is a good one as well. I think "Dragonheart", with Sean Connery doing the dragon's voice is my all time favourite though.
Band of Brothers is absolutely amazing. One of my all time favourite series. The OP asked for films and series set in classical and medieval times though.

Bierschneeman

Band of Brothers is absolutely amazing. One of my all time favourite series. The OP asked for films and series set in classical and medieval times though.
Last samurai is also not in the time period OP stated. It's 1800s.

Ohh I totally forgot life of Brian and holy grail

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
True. But you just quoted the OP :D

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
True. But you just quoted the OP :D
Called him out didn't I?

Haha, but seriously, I didn't notice. :oops:

Another cool movie: Red Cliff. I believe it's a Chinese production. Nowhere near historically accurate, but it has some great over the top battle scenes.

Myles Alexander

At the moment I'm watching "Helen of Troy", which is a 2003 mini series. It's not as visually impressive as the 2004 movie with Brad Pitt, but still a decent watch if you like the story.

Maark Abbott

Last samurai is also not in the time period OP stated. It's 1800s.

Ohh I totally forgot life of Brian and holy grail
Ah, but it's technically set in a feudal era, which is contemporary with the middle ages in Europe.

Diziet Sma

I rewatched Troy last month after having read The Song of Troy by C McCullough, and despite having Brad Pitt running around in a skirt, couldn't finisihed watching this second time round.