Your favourite historical movies?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
And if you're are scientologist then battlefield earth
I loved that movie! I've watched it a couple of times now and it just gets funnier every time I rewatch it. Probably not what Hubbard and the producers intended, but still. :)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
This was my childhood lol
I thought Christopher Lambert was so cool. Still do.

I watched all of them, and I didn't care how bad they were. Enjoyed every minute of them as a kid.

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
When it comes to movies some of my favorites are Gladiator, Troy, Braveheart, Le Boscu( translated On Guard! from 1997, but it's more fiction than historical), Alexander, King Arthur( the 2004 version), Asterix and Obelix( a franchise of comedy French movies set in different eras, a bit fantasy you might say, but they are fun - no idea how famous they are worldwide, but they are in my country, so), Pearl Harbor( yup, no kidding), The Imitation Game.

As for TV series:
Rome - the HBO series
Da Vinci's Demons
The Tudors
The Borgias - it's OK
Spartacus - the Starz over the top version, quite cheesy, but it's OK
Marco Pollo - the Netflix production, I've been through season one
11.22.63 - not sure how historical this is, but I think it's enough
Klondike - the dude who plays Rob Stark in Game of Thrones plays the main character and he is doing a fine job with it
Hatfields and McCoys - the Hystory channel mini-series
Into the West - I've been through the first 5 out of the 6 episodes of this mini-series and it's quite nice, it's about the colonisation of North America and such.
Vikings is kind of nice.
Empire - the 2005 mini series - Caesar, Rome, Octavian, all that cool stuff - it's nice.

Anti_Quated

Last of the Mohicans is my favourite historical film. Michael Mann nailed the panoramic beauty and sweeping romantic adventure so magnificently it's remained my favourite ever since I saw it in highschool English. Most other students rolled their eyes and groaned, but I was captivated utterly. Brilliant.

Aside from LotM, I'm an avid fan of the genre and adore 300, Apocalypto, Last Samurai, Alexander, Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator, Troy, Master and Commander, Legends of the Fall (I seem to be a sucker for the melodramatic pieces, it seems). Not such a fan of Kingdom of Heaven as I loathe pretty boy Oral-nod Broom. Rob Roy was good but I've seen it perhaps three times (where the favourites are annual viewing). 13th Warrior is pure fun and was my pizza slob choice every weekend or so for about 2 years when I first left home.

I'm also pretty fond of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Black and white, classy, and restrained in the way that only older films can be.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Last of the Mohicans is my favourite historical film. Michael Mann nailed the panoramic beauty and sweeping romantic adventure so magnificently it's remained my favourite ever since I saw it in highschool English. Most other students rolled their eyes and groaned, but I was captivated utterly. Brilliant.

Aside from LotM, I'm an avid fan of the genre and adore 300, Apocalypto, Last Samurai, Alexander, Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator, Troy, Master and Commander, Legends of the Fall (I seem to be a sucker for the melodramatic pieces, it seems). Not such a fan of Kingdom of Heaven as I loathe pretty boy Oral-nod Broom. Rob Roy was good but I've seen it perhaps three times (where the favourites are annual viewing). 13th Warrior is pure fun and was my pizza slob choice every weekend or so for about 2 years when I first left home.

I'm also pretty fond of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Black and white, classy, and restrained in the way that only older films can be.
Did you see Kingdom of Heaven: the Director's Cut? It gives more non-Balian storylines. More focus on the politics of the Crusader States. It changes the entire movie. Pretty good if you ask me.

Anti_Quated

@Silvion Night
I don't know that I can stomach watching it a second time. I really have an unsettling dislike of Mr Bloom and find his one-note acting has worn terribly thin.
I might give it a whirl if Knightfall fails to woo me - Templar focused History channel drama series from the crew behind Vikings (I think even Michael Hirst is writing for it).

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I really have an unsettling dislike of Mr Bloom and find his one-note acting has worn terribly thin.
Alexander Doetsch is a prettier replica of Mr Bloom's lack of acting charisma. Personally, I found him extremely boring in his role of Uhtred of Bebbanburg in Last Kingdom.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
That's my favorite genre!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
well, you know your stuffs bro..
well, i believe that even Lame Gay Based Movies would include a more manly men than this move.. just watch Alexander's face while riding to battle.. I swear the God he seemed like scared.. Colin Farrell really blasted Alexander's character off.. he was not suitable for the role at all... :rage:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
well, you know your stuffs bro..
well, i believe that even Lame Gay Based Movies would include a more manly men than this move.. just watch Alexander's face while riding to battle.. I swear the God he seemed like scared.. Colin Farrell really blasted Alexander's character off.. he was not suitable for the role at all... :rage:
You do know that Alexander purportedly had a thing for this best buddy Hephaestion? Didn't make him less of a general though.

Anyway, I do agree that the casting of Colin Farrell as Alexander was a very bad choice in this movie. The terrible bleach-job they did on Farrell's hair didn't help matters. The movie has one of the most realistic hoplite-with-sarissa battles ever depicted though, so there's that (on the other hand it has some gruesome action-scene like the pitched battle in the Indian jungle).

I just rewatched Troy and the historical authenticity of that one is very questionable. That can be forgiven though, as the book it is based on (the Illiad) is a mythological tale. The movie even tones down the mythological aspect (in that it doesn't have the Gods running around doing battle with each other). Achilles, Odyseus, Agememnon, Nestor and Menelaos were all solid casting choices. But what the hell were they thinking when they selected Orlando Bloom as Paris? The dude is horrible for the part. And what about Eric Bana as Hector? I've never seen such ham-fisted delivery of lines! At least Brad Pitt managed to make the cheesy lines sound cool.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
The terrible bleach-job they did on Farrell's hair didn't help matters.
wow... you noticed the bleach???? WHO ARE YOU????

I just rewatched Troy
Troy isn't "very" bad.. but i really hated the last battle when the 2 were fighting with spears.. for GOD SAKE.. who makes a close range battle using spears??!!!!! did they run out of swords????? you just come to hate it more if you see it (like my case) AFTER Reading David's wonder, TROY... where you can actually SEE the heroism and bravery.