Your suggestions for the Top 25 Fantasy Books List

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
eaglespremiers said:
Here's a thought from perhaps not a well known author.
Ian Irvine's Three World's Cycle series. He has a style perhaps similar to George Martin wherein there is no perceived antagonist and all people are both good and bad. His writing is bang on and has quite a strong science fiction flavour not present in other fantasy series. The world is creative, character progression is influential and the climaxes are action-packed and diverse in every book.
Of all the series I've read - and I've read numerous of the top 25 I haven't read a series that I've personally liked better than either Ian Irvine's View from a Mirror series or his Well of Echoes series (Three World's Cycle sub-series). If you want a series very different from nearly every other, with a plot influenced by character choices and totally unique creatures this is the one. Characters die, good people make bad choices and antagonists make memorable good choices.
If there was one fantasy series I'd read over and over it'd be this one.
I've seen his books at borders but they just don't jump out at me. I might go and have a read of the backcover now.

Oh and welcome to the board eaglespremiers, go introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" thread in the 'anything' forum

Personally I thought the Terry Goodkind The sword of truth series should be added. The first book is by far the best but it's crazy how the series goes on to be more in depth and twisted. Some of the books are better than others but well worth reading. I didn't even think the TV movie or whatever it was even compared to actually reading it.

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
annam8403 said:
Personally I thought the Terry Goodkind The sword of truth series should be added. The first book is by far the best but it's crazy how the series goes on to be more in depth and twisted. Some of the books are better than others but well worth reading. I didn't even think the TV movie or whatever it was even compared to actually reading it.
:ducks to avoid the backlash:

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
HazyJay said:
annam8403 said:
:ducks to avoid the backlash:
:runs in with a torch and some rope: What?!

annam8403 said:
This series is generally disliked, the first book is decent as I understand the consensus to just get worse as the series goes along. At least that is how I have read comments about it. I personally liked the first 2-3 books of the series but never finished the series after things changed to the larger scale. Felt like it was just a way to extend the series which was already wearing on me.

I actually read the whole series and like it at the time. Now that I've read more (and much better) fantasy, I realize that it is lacking in many things. My fav. book of the series was actually Temple of the Wind which most people thought sucked. But anyway, I don't think it deserves the top 25, just too many whole (and too much rape). Hell, the only character not raped, almost raped, or commited rape was the Evil Chicken.

daystar

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
dhoop17 said:
I actually read the whole series and like it at the time. Now that I've read more (and much better) fantasy, I realize that it is lacking in many things. My fav. book of the series was actually Temple of the Wind which most people thought sucked. But anyway, I don't think it deserves the top 25, just too many whole (and too much rape). Hell, the only character not raped, almost raped, or commited rape was the Evil Chicken.
havent read the whole series myself . i started with pillars of creation and that is a great book. when that is the book to introduce you to all the characters it is nice not to know who the good guys are. i would recomend that book first. got me interested enough to read the last two and the were an okay story , i just had to skip 5 to 10 pages at a time when they start to ramble. that book would probly rate in the 30 to 40 range , but not twenty-five.

Thanks all for the recommendations.

I'm about to finish the Riftwar trilogy, and I am a little bit disappointed. :( The first book (Magician) was good, but the others are pretty derivative (and I'm beginning to get fed up with the plethora of good characters - every character is good and naive :I ; furthermore I couldn't get myself to like any other character besides Pug, they just seem to general; frankly I would have been OK with the PoV changes, shifts, if the characters had been more interesting - I read the whole 11 books of WoT :) and I liked those even though the PoV changed often). I understand that many compare this series to WoT, but I find Jordan's world much more detailed (more realistic) - it seemed that Feist only described one or two cities - and enjoyed it much more. So I decided the next books or series should be longer, more detailed and realistic with some gray characters.

I read another book as well during this time Gaiman's Neverwhere that I liked a lot. I simply couldn't put it down and read it in 3 days. It wasn't anything new from a fantasy's point of view, but it was just interesting concept and plot line.

As I wrote previously I think I'll try "The Name of the Wind", but probably I'll wait for the second book to come out first.

I read good things about Hobb's Farseer trilogy, but I'm concerned that the story will be full with the same old fantasy cliches and would be very predictable.

I would ask you all about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant as I read very extreme reviews (some people love it very much and some hate it very much); however the story seems very interesting and original.

yagoov said:
I read good things about Hobb's Farseer trilogy, but I'm concerned that the story will be full with the same old fantasy cliches and would be very predictable.
Negative. The only formulaic part of this trilogy is the orphan child. Farseer is fantastic. You will not be able to predict much, if anything, in this trilogy. Since you like good, descriptive prose, Ms Hobb is right up your alley.

yagoov said:
I would ask you all about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant as I read very extreme reviews (some people love it very much and some hate it very much); however the story seems very interesting and original.
These types of polarizing books intrigue me because either way it sounds like it will provoke a strong reaction. I have not read it yet either, but it's close to the top of my TBR pile simply because of that fact.

Steadfast said:
yagoov said:
Negative. The only formulaic part of this trilogy is the orphan child. Farseer is fantastic. You will not be able to predict much, if anything, in this trilogy. Since you like good, descriptive prose, Ms Hobb is right up your alley.

yagoov said:
These types of polarizing books intrigue me because either way it sounds like it will provoke a strong reaction. I have not read it yet either, but it's close to the top of my TBR pile simply because of that fact.
I could never get into the first Thomas Covenant book. I stopped about halfway through. I'll pick it up again eventually. I also stopped Prince of Nothing after two chapters and when I finally did read the whole set it's now one of my favorite books.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Steadfast said:
Mistborn needs to steelpush someone out of the top 25 and take their spot ;)
Or a Duralninum fueled Pewter smash

I just stumbled on this site and wanted to add a few names for consideration, though of course I know there isn't room for everyone's favorite books up there. Anyhow, some of the following are good, some are great, and some would be in a list of (my own at least) top 25.

I know I'm seconding a couple here, including Madeleine L'Engle and McCaffrey...

Unmentioned books by authors already up there:
Guy Gavriel Kay – A Song for Arbonne, Last Light of the Sun (I agree)
Neil Gaiman – Neverwhere, The Graveyard Book
Ursula K. LeGuin – Gifts
Many of Patricia McKillip's standalone books are superb – look at some of the newer ones like Od Magic and The Bell at Sealey Head
Juliet Marillier – Bridei Chronicles
Kate Elliott – Crossroads series
George R. R. Martin – Sandkings, and I have a special place in my heart for Dying of the Light... though both of those go with the sci-fi section

Authors/books (kids):
Robin McKinley – Sunshine, Deerskin, Hero and the Crown, The Blue Sword
Shannon Hale – All of the Goose Girl series, as well as Book of a Thousand Days and Princess Academy
Madeleine L'Engle – Wrinkle in Time series
Patricia C. Wrede – Dealing with Dragons quartet, The Raven Ring
Tamora Pierce – everything
Monica Furlong – Wise Child books
Eloise McGraw – The Moorchild
William Nicholson – Wind Singer trilogy is excellent, and I also like the Noble Warriors trilogy
T. A. Barron – The Ancient One
Dianna Wynne Jones – everything - Spellcoats, Derkholm books, Chrestomanci books, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and House of a Thousand Ways, Archer's Goon
Lloyd Alexander – a quintet, the first three (and best) books of which are The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, and the Castle of Llyr

Authors/books (adults):
Kate Forsyth – Eileannan series
Charles de Lint – my favorites are Jack the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon
Sherwood Smith – Crown Duel duet and Inda series
S. L. Farrell - Cloudmages
Ellen Kushner – Privilege of the Sword
Anne McCaffrey – Dragonflight, and many of the other Pern books, though not all of them, are also quite good

Books (sci-fi):
Margaret Atwood – Oryx and Crake
Jonathan Lethem – Girl in Landscape
Mary Doria Russel – The Sparrow

Sci-fi movies:
Serenity
Donnie Darko

Jon Snow

Staff member
Definitely some good books there inkgoblin. I read Sandkings via GRRMs' Songs the Dead Men Sing and it definitely was my favourite one and the one that freaked me out the most. I haven't read Dying of the Light yet but Tuf Voyaging was very good...but again sci-fi

However there are also some that I think are past there time...like Pern.

top 25 is a huge list, but this site also has a "great" and "good" reads section which also probably need an update.

Hope you stop by again and be a part of the forums!

Yeah, Sandkings is positively chilling, though it's technically somewhere between short story and novelette, and thus not really a novel at all.

In terms of the Pern series - I'll grant you that it's become a bit dated. I noticed that you wrote a review of Dragonflight in which you were overturned by her unique perspective on dragons. Sometimes the preconceptions we take into the reading of a book can strongly color our perceptions of it... I personally also disagree about the quality of the story and the writing, and the likeability of the characters, though for me the series was a fixture of my childhood and not something I came to when my ideas about what constitutes fantasy (and what constitutes good fantasy) were already fixed. Regardless, I'd agree that it doesn't belong with the best of the best, though I myself would at least give it a nod in the 'good books' section.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome! This site has (fortunately? unfortunately?) added several dozen multi-book series to my already seemingly neverending queue of Books To Read...

Jon Snow

Staff member
Yes, childhood reads have big impacts on us. I still remember the story of Charlotte's Web quite vividly because it was read to me in school (still haven't read it myself). The book "The Brother's War" by Jeff Grubb (a magic the gathering book) has a special place in my heart too.

Regarding Pern, you don't learn about the Dragon's characteristics until later and by then it was the icing on a disastrous cake. But regardless I'll read another of her books soonish.

Also yes Sandkings is a short story but those few pages are much better than a lot of drivel in bookstores

Wow, i had forgotten about this site. Nice to see it has gotten more active since i left. My fantasy reading hasn't been much though since i been busy, I'm still on the WOT. I just finished reading the third book and i love the series. Kind of dreading it because everyone keeps saying the series goes to shit. I cant really imagine that since so far it has been so good, i hope this dip in quality isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

Anyways, i'll try to be a bit more active now that i have some more time on my hand. Im actually only on the Dragon Reborn because i re-read the first two books. Well actually, i listened to them on audio-books. WOT audio-books are great. After WOT im going to read Song of Ice and fire, i hope i can find some audio book torrents online for it.