Your worst read this year?

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this might be a poo-poo topic, and the aim is not to throw mud and other dirty stuff at books or authors, but naturally, we'll be reading books we enjoy and books we don't, and we should be able to talk about the books we did not enjoy, aswell as the ones we did enjoy.

I could name a few alltime not-favourites, but instead I'll start by naming my least favorable book of 2012 so far: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

I read so much good stuff about this book, and the fool that I am, I didnt read the amazon and goodreads reviews before buying, but stuck to reviews in papers and bookclubs. And I have regretted this so much since.
This book is not for anyone who has not read books by this author before (although some might love it, as it is akin to Tigana in the way the storyline takes a backseat, and all the small details of everyday life, environment and world takes the stage).

I felt like this book could have been 1/3-rd of the length (which is almost 1k pages) if it just focused on the story, and it would have been a decent read. It was an extremely hard and non-satisfying read for me. As a result, I will most likely not return to any of his other works and will not be recommending this book to anyone.

How about you?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
'The Last Four Things' for me. I really struggled to finish it, despite its length. I quite liked 'The Left Hand of God' as well. Don't think i'll bother with the last one whenever it comes out.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I didn't finish A Cavern of Black Ice. Might give it another go later.

Also couldn't finish a self published book. Think I might write an article about it

I tried one of those selfpublished authors, I can only say I will never do it again. Dristlemore by Brian Moniz.

" Cain considered checking other inns in Harver to see if others offered a better price, but dismissed the idea. He wasn't even sure there was another inn in Harver, never mind a better price. Even if there were other inns, he didn't think the price would be any less than a copper or two different in price. Inns did have to keep in competition with one another, after all."

I often talk like this, fortunately for the well-read population I'm not an author nor do I plan to become one.

Wizard's First Rule. Given, I'm only about halfway through so it can still get better, but every single character in that book just annoys me.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Isn't that from Goodkind's Sword of Truth series? Um, I have bad news for you, buddy - it's not going to get better.

I haven't read the series myself, but from everything I have heard it is supposed to be a pretty bad series. In fact, the first book is actually the only half decent one. So if you're annoyed now, it's only going to get worse.

Isn't that from Goodkind's Sword of Truth series? Um, I have bad news for you, buddy - it's not going to get better.

I haven't read the series myself, but from everything I have heard it is supposed to be a pretty bad series. In fact, the first book is actually the only half decent one. So if you're annoyed now, it's only going to get worse.
I wonder how he got 8 books for that series if the first one is the decent one... Now I have a morbid fascination, the kind you have when you look at an accident and you don't want to look, but you just can't stop yourself.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Yeah, the whole Sword of Truth series is awful. The first one is a decent read, but every other book in the series essentially reads lie an episode of Dragon Ball Z, Richard gets into trouble, Richard powers up/discovers a new talent.

The info drops in that series are beyond description.

I admit to reading the whole series because I cared about a few of the characters, but man did that last book finally seal the deal as one of the worst fantasy series of ALL time. The second to last chapter was like 30 pages of info dump, seriously.

Stop yourself while it's early, don't read it, don't waste your time, characters in a good fantasy novel should not be able to break into a 5 page explanation of something you should have grasped 50 pages into the book.

Derk of Derkholm

I have downloaded the free ebook "Keeper Martins tale" as it was hailed on this forum to be the absolutely worst crap ever written in the fantasy genre, and am saving it for a day when I truly want to depress myself :)

Best regards,
Andy

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember that title and did a quick google search. I read this once before and thought it was very memorable.

Robert Stanek shat directly into my soul. - Literature - A Forum of Ice and Fire

He's supposed to be the epitome of douchiness. Blatantly selfpromoting himself on amazon reviews, and not just on his own books, but writing reviews of new fantasy books with great recommendations, writing stuff like "in the spirit of great authors like GRR Martin, Tolkien and Robert Stanek, The story of Harry Potter blah de blah blah, is a great tribute to the blah blah wraaaa blah, and like Keeper Martins Tale, the Harry Potter story is a must read for all fans of the genre."

Anyways, just wanted to give you a heads up. I haven't read any of his books, nor do I care to do so, but that's just what I "heard" (read: read) on the interwebz!

Derk of Derkholm

Laurentius,

thanks for the link!

BUT ... you should put a NSFW warning there.
I had to go to the toilet to conceal the wild fits of laughter that claimed me when I read the discussion. Bit hard to explain to my colleagues :)

Best regards,
Andy

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought both books were good.
I just felt the second book tried to cover too much in too little time, and ended up being a bit disjointed and 'didn't flow'. After becoming quite fond of Cale et al in the first book, I found myself not really giving a toss in the follow up.

Antoxx

I've pretty much avoided bad books this year mostly because I've only just restarted reading fantasy and have been going off the recommendations from the best fantasy books website. Could only get through the first book of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever though. Mix of "poor me" attitude of the main character and storyline. Have the other two left as bought the omnibus but not sure I'll bother.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
The whole Thomas Covenant series is more about the redemption the main character goes through as the series goes on, although I'll agree, he's one of the more dislikeable main characters in literature, but it does get better as it goes on and is a pretty solid couple of series.

Granted I haven't read any of the new books that have come out in recent years, but the original two series are worth a read.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Laurentius,

thanks for the link!

BUT ... you should put a NSFW warning there.
I had to go to the toilet to conceal the wild fits of laughter that claimed me when I read the discussion. Bit hard to explain to my colleagues :)

Best regards,
Andy
I have downloaded the free ebook "Keeper Martins tale" as it was hailed on this forum to be the absolutely worst crap ever written in the fantasy genre, and am saving it for a day when I truly want to depress myself :)

Best regards,
Andy
Robert Stanek’s Keeper Martin’s Tale Book Review (The Worst Book in the World) | Best Fantasy Books Blog

This was written by Ben a few years ago

Sword of Truth

I wonder how he got 8 books for that series if the first one is the decent one... Now I have a morbid fascination, the kind you have when you look at an accident and you don't want to look, but you just can't stop yourself.
Don't. I hate to bash another writer, but, well, let's just say there are some... similarities between the sword of truth and wheel of time, starting in the second book. Enough similarities that I had to check and see which one was written first so I'd know who to blame.

Some self-published stuff is pretty bad, but some is excellent. I've tried to read several books from big publishing houses this year that just didn't grab me at all. I never buy those books and never finish them, so I can't really say what my worst read has been this year. The worst book I finished was still good enough to buy.

Worst book of all time? "A Fist Full of Data" based on the Shadowrun world. If you want to check it out, hopefully your local library doesn't have a copy.