Zombie apocalypse books

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
In between reading fantasy, I often go for a zombie apocalypse type book. Basically, I'm looking for recommendations, as I've run out of zombie books, and I would like to read more.

What I've read so far:

Day by day armageddon (+ sequel) - Best zombie book I've read so far!
Dead Island (based on the game. Good book too!)
Doom - Knee deep in the dead
Dead Mech - zombies + mechs in the future? Hells yeah!
Dead of night - I liked this one a lot
Zombie fight night - funny and short.
Alice in deadland - Different take on the alice in wonderland story.

In my possession I also have "Zombie survival guide" and "World War Z", but I cant get into the first and the 2nd I've read 1/3rd way through. Thought it was bleh...
I want a story damn you. Not 5000 two page blurbs. I want depth and a long story and WWZ just doesnt deliver on that account to me.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I am Legend is very very good. Very short at 160 pages or so, but a damn fine read.

I read zombie books for the entertainment value and can find a great fun in the stupidest of books, you'll forgive me if some of these books don't meet your criteria.

Jonathan Maberry- Patient Zero
David Wellington-Monster Island...thinking zombies
Tony Burgess-Pontypool Changes Everything
Stephen King-Cell...kind of zombie book and outrageous
John Ajvide Lindqvist-Handling The Dead
Brian Keene-The Rising and the rest
Z.A.Recht-The Morningstar Saga
David Dunwoody--Empire

If you like comics The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman are great.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I must lead a very sheltered, mundane life. I had no idea enough zombie books existed to have a genre on their own. Brilliant!!!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am Legend is very very good. Very short at 160 pages or so, but a damn fine read.
Have read that and wholeheartedly agree. Great read!

I read zombie books for the entertainment value and can find a great fun in the stupidest of books, you'll forgive me if some of these books don't meet your criteria.

Jonathan Maberry- Patient Zero
David Wellington-Monster Island...thinking zombies
Tony Burgess-Pontypool Changes Everything
Stephen King-Cell...kind of zombie book and outrageous
John Ajvide Lindqvist-Handling The Dead
Brian Keene-The Rising and the rest
Z.A.Recht-The Morningstar Saga
David Dunwoody--Empire

If you like comics The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman are great.
Like you Arariel, I also find great enjoyment and entertainment in Zombie books. Part horror, part action, part awesomeness. Will definately look into some of those books. Already read some of Kings "Cell". Borrowed it from the library as I do not like Stephen Kings writing. Hated the Gunslinger books, except from book one, which I loved. I just dont like his writing.

About the comics, I do like em, but I find they dont have the same dollar for time value as books does. They are simply too expensive for me, compared to getting a book. Wish I was a millionaire!

King is hit or miss for me and I have to be in a special mood for his writing...mostly I like his stuff (if I'm in good mood:))

You are right about the comics, that's why I'm not buying them. I read them at the book store...that's one more reason I hate ereaders taking over and book stores closings, where am I going to read stuff I can't afford?

If you ever need recs in the future and I'm not around ;), check the www.bestzombiebooks.com, you'll find lists and descriptions of books.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I liked "The vegan revolution ... with zombies" ... it was quite funny.

Best regards,
Andy